Saturday, December 11, 2010

Yummy Holiday Treats Abound At PB Boulangerie Bistro

Oh, my. Yesterday I stopped in at PB for bread, on the way home from Orleans. The man in front of me in line was having "one of this, and one of that," a slice of pizza, a lemon tart, an almond croissant. He left with a paper bag full of lusciousness. I was stuck in front of the pastry case during his order. Now that the holidays are here, PB seems to be producing buches de Noel almost every day. The "buche de Noel," which translates as "Christmas log," is a traditional treat, available in bakeries in France, during the holiday season. So far, at PB, I have seen individual slices that seem to have raspberry filling, and others with chocolate. They look yummy, but fattening. It's almost as if the pastry chef is trying to decide which type of buche he/she prefers making. Sometimes the whole buche is for sale. The chocolate buches I saw yesterday made me swoon, but I restrained myself and requested a loaf of bread instead, as usual.

"Anything else?" asked the young lady in green, polite as can be.

"Let me have that apricot tart, please," I muttered, succumbing in one fell swoop.

Fruit doesn't make you gain weight, now does it?