Thursday, December 02, 2010

How Looking Forward to a Vacation Influences Mood

This afternoon Sven and I went down to the sea at low tide, in search of exercise (Sven) and serenity (me). Newcomb Hollow was deserted except for one lone person walking a black dog. The wide expanse of beach stretched out in the distance. The only sound was waves, crashing at the ocean's edge.

The beach, in winter, turns this amazing shade of powder blue, visible above. It's partially the color scheme that does so much for the spirit. Beige and light blue forever, if you ask me.

Sven and I chatted a bit about The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, which we saw last night at WHAT, but I really had other things on my mind. As we walked along, I thought about my vacation, in the near future now, and it occurred to me how important this period of time is, weeks spent in anticipation, where you can look forward to a totally different experience.

I know some of you have commented in the past about looking forward to your week or two in Wellfleet every summer, explaining that the idea of escape to Cape Cod is what keeps you going the rest of the year. I don't think it really has to do with place though, because leaving Wellfleet, for me, has nothing to do with it. Rather human nature makes us long for something different, sort of like the grass-is-always-greener-on-the-other-side-of-the-fence-syndrome. In my case, I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to spend time in Boston and take a few writing courses, an activity so very different from innkeeping. And, it's this idea that puts me in a happy state of mind.

Once a wise lady in France told me we always should have something to look forward to, and I think she was right. What do you think? What do you look forward to and does the anticipation period put you in a superior mood?